Whether you’re leaving on a jet plane, on a train, or in an automobile, you’re probably pretty excited to get away on vacation. It’s great to get away from the daily grind and your everyday home routine, but it’s even greater if you feel confident that nothing is going to go wrong at home while you’re away. You shouldn’t have to worry that you forgot to take the trash out, that the basement might flood, or that your home is using an unnecessary amount of energy while you’re away. That’s why your Cypress, TX plumbing company wants to share this fantastic Checklist of the 15 Things You Should Do before Leaving on Vacation (link to PDF). Check it out and you’ll see how easy it is to prepare your home for your absence. Of course, the plumbing to-dos are Rooter-Man Plumbers’ favorites, so let’s talk about those.
5 Ways to Prepare Your Plumbing in Cypress Before You Leave On Vacation
- Turn off your main water valve. You don’t get to choose when a water leak is going to happen, and unfortunately many vacationers come home to these unpleasant surprises. By turning off your water, you’re safeguarding your home from water leaks and water damage while you’re away.
- Run your garbage disposal. You’ll want to evacuate your garbage disposal of any food scraps that may be sitting inside, so that you don’t come home to a stinky kitchen.
- Set your water heater to “vacation” mode. On “vacation” mode, your water heater won’t work as hard to maintain a large amount of hot water, and when your water heater doesn’t work as hard, it wastes less energy and saves you money (that you can put in a jar to save for the next vacation!).
- Pour some chlorine into your toilet bowls. You only need to do this if you’ll be away for an extended amount of time. A half cup of chlorine in each bowl will help prevent stains caused by bacteria.
- Mix a half cup of vinegar with a half cup of water and dump it down each of your drains. Not using your drains for a long time can cause them to have an unpleasant odor. This will keep them nice and fresh.
For the rest of our tips for things to do before you leave on vacation, click here. For plumbing repairs, plumbing installations, or any plumbing service in Cypress, Magnolia, Tomball, Spring, or The Woodlands, call Rooter-Man Plumbers!