Bathrooms that we once used over and over without a second thought can become dangerous, anxiety-producing places as we age. For the elderly and people with mobility issues, typical bathrooms just don’t make sense. If you or someone you know is having difficultly navigating your current bathroom, contact our Magnolia plumbers for help creating a safer, easier to use, handicap accessible bathroom. Take a look at some of the possibilities below and consider which options would be the most helpful.
Bathroom Modifications That Help Create a Safer Bathroom
- Elevated Toilets – A couple of extra inches can make all the difference in the world to someone who struggles to get on and off the toilet. Installing a grab bar on the wall nearby will make using the restroom even easier.
- Bathroom Grab Bars – When installed correctly, these bars can help steady a person’s body, reducing the instances of falls. Be sure to choose a stainless steel, institutional grade bar. Never use a towel bar as a grab bar because these are not designed to support much weight.
- Shower Seats – When standing while taking a shower becomes a burden, it’s time to consider installing a shower seat. A shower seat will allow you to sit, relax, and enjoy your shower, and there will be a reduced risk of slipping and falling.
- Handheld Showers – Handheld showerheads assist people with mobility issues with cleansing. Instead of having to move around in the shower, you can move the shower around you!
- Walk-in Showers & Bathtubs – These require a lesser amount of motion to enter and exit, thereby reducing the risk of slipping or falling.
As we age, our needs change, and our bathrooms should to. For help installing accessible bathroom fixtures in Magnolia, North Houston, or the surrounding areas, give Rooter-Man Plumbers a call today. We specialize in designing handicap accessible bathrooms around individual needs.